Friday, November 2, 2007

Here are some concepts and observations from the Benevolent Ballet teaching approach.

On Motivation
Yesterday I was speaking with an activities director about ways to motive and truly engage her nursing home residents. We agreed that it took more then just a polite "Hello. How are you? Now lift your arms and lower them." Based on the theory of empathic engagement, energy will beget energy. Enthusiasm will beget enthusiasm. Residents have often said to me, "My! You have a lot of energy." I laugh and tell them I want to share some of it with them. They usually get it. The energy I speak of must be in the voice as well as the body language. Warm feelings and commends must be sincerely projected. And Yes it is exhausting! But your reward will be more alert and engaged residents.

Caregivers Need to Relieve Stress
I have just given a class to family member caregivers. I gave them an actual Benevolent ballet class with some tips on how they might try some of the exercises with their loved ones. It was a great success! The program had the same effect on them as it does on my elderly students. They were swept away swept up in the emotion and movement and left wanting more. Caregivers also need this type of activity to relieve stress.
More on Benevolent Ballet
You may be interested in an article I wrote entitled Training for Healthcare Workers Improves the Quality of Life for the Elderly. I see from my stats that a lot of people are going to this blog. Please feel free to add your ideas about ways to motivate and inspire the old and very old. Ask questions. Or begin a discussion about your experiences with the use of exercise or music. Simply go to the bottom of the message and click on the 'Comments" link.Yesterday I had a man come to class to see what it was all about. He said he was pleasantly surprised that we were doing real exercises and that he had a good work out. He was afraid that he would be put in a tutu and asked to flit about!!!

A GRANDFATHER'S ADVICE
My grandfather liked to give advice as to how one should conduct oneself. He often reminded us to smile whenever we entered a room. That it would light up the room and make everyone feel terrific. I didn't think much of it at the time but have since realized that smiling is a powerful tool when trying to motivate someone.


Residents Perform to Achieve Their Maximum Potential
Although the participants of a particular training seminar were receptive and enjoyed the training they may have had some reservations that the program would work with their residents. Perhaps the residents wouldn't be able to handle so much movement or Mrs X has bad shoulders and can't possibly raise her arms! Then came the demonstration class which I always conduct at the end of the training so that the trainees can observe how all the concepts of the Benevolent Ballet program come together to motivate and inspire their residents to perform to their maximum ability. This class consisted of several residents of their Alzheimers wing as well as some from the assisted living division. 'Low and Behold' all did participate and enjoy the entire 30 minutes!
A Call For Responses
I will be adding more adecdotes and teaching tips but please let me know what you think. Feel free to share your own motivational methods and experience with various exercise programming.
For more information about the Benevolent Ballet program go to:
Have a great holiday season!
Sheila

No comments:

Welcome

Welcome to my blog where I will share my thoughts, ideas and experiences with the Benvolent Ballet Fall Prevention program. For those who are not familiar with the program it is an approach to exercise especially designed for those with physical and or cognitive challenges including the frial elderly. Inspired by classical ballet's music and concepts it becomes not only an exercise class but an altogether enriching experience.

Incorporated into this program is a motivational approach using what may be called 'empathic engagement' . One day training seminars for healthcare staff have been held throughout the US. I have personally facilitated the program in assisted living, skilled nursing facilities and independent living communities