Friday, July 17, 2009

“I feel like I could fly!”

I didn’t feel much like teaching today. The air conditioner had died and I was drained. But a job is a job and the show must go on. As always I psyched myself and plunged in. It turns out that the class at the adult day care went well with good humor and participation. We always end with improvisation using scarves ribbons or balloons and then the bow or reverence. Among the usual comments of “Oh that was good!” and “Bless you!” (from my African American friends and Islanders) Ms. Ruth claps her hands and says “I just feel like I could fly!” Well I just hugged her and thanked her and told her that she had made my day worthwhile!

No comments:

Welcome

Welcome to my blog where I will share my thoughts, ideas and experiences with the Benvolent Ballet Fall Prevention program. For those who are not familiar with the program it is an approach to exercise especially designed for those with physical and or cognitive challenges including the frial elderly. Inspired by classical ballet's music and concepts it becomes not only an exercise class but an altogether enriching experience.

Incorporated into this program is a motivational approach using what may be called 'empathic engagement' . One day training seminars for healthcare staff have been held throughout the US. I have personally facilitated the program in assisted living, skilled nursing facilities and independent living communities