Wednesday, October 20, 2010

On Cultural Sensitivity

I enjoyed reading the article about Cultural Specific Care on the ALFA Update site. I have a sweet story to share. Minna was a tiny Chinese lady who resided in a memory care unit of a nursing home. The staff had told me not to include her as she didn't speak English. Because I like a challenge I paid special attention to her. After our Benevolent Ballet class, which she thoroughly enjoyed , she hurried back to her room. A few minutes later she handed me a tiny package wrapped in a paper napkin. Inside were two pennies for which I gratefully thanked her! This was repeated after each class. Either because Minna ran out of pennies or because her condition was deteriorating this gift became her dessert cookie, a pudding cup and finally a cup of melted ice cream! The Asian custom of reciprocal gift giving was ingrained in her spirit. I'll always remember dear Minna.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi,

What a great story, Minna is so sweet.. Based on your story, I also liked her.. :)

vitamins

Welcome

Welcome to my blog where I will share my thoughts, ideas and experiences with the Benvolent Ballet Fall Prevention program. For those who are not familiar with the program it is an approach to exercise especially designed for those with physical and or cognitive challenges including the frial elderly. Inspired by classical ballet's music and concepts it becomes not only an exercise class but an altogether enriching experience.

Incorporated into this program is a motivational approach using what may be called 'empathic engagement' . One day training seminars for healthcare staff have been held throughout the US. I have personally facilitated the program in assisted living, skilled nursing facilities and independent living communities