Saturday, November 22, 2008

More on Engaging the Elderly


The residents of the assisted living facility had been gathered for a official meeting. It was my turn to try and involve the group in my exercise program. Knowing that recent studies show as many as three quarters of the residents of assisted living have some form of dementia or Alzheimer’s I understood that the group might be resistant to a new activity and a new face. Immediately a few began to leave. Coaxing them back with the promise of music and relieving the fear that they might be challenged with something new by telling them that they can just watch. I promised them that would like the music so much that they might want to join in and move with it. As they music played, I called their attention to it by saying, “Listen!.....Good music, isn’t it?” Making eye contact with each individual (especially the ones I suspect have dementia of some sort), I move with the music expressing the joy of it. Soon, with a bit more coaxing and for the lowest level of functioning, some warm one on one, hand to hand and heart to heart, the group is fully engaged!

Your comments are welcome.

No comments:

Welcome

Welcome to my blog where I will share my thoughts, ideas and experiences with the Benvolent Ballet Fall Prevention program. For those who are not familiar with the program it is an approach to exercise especially designed for those with physical and or cognitive challenges including the frial elderly. Inspired by classical ballet's music and concepts it becomes not only an exercise class but an altogether enriching experience.

Incorporated into this program is a motivational approach using what may be called 'empathic engagement' . One day training seminars for healthcare staff have been held throughout the US. I have personally facilitated the program in assisted living, skilled nursing facilities and independent living communities