Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Music Sets the Mood

It has been a while since I have posted anything. I have been busy with family matters. However I do want to share today's experience during my class at the adult day care center. Gospel music was playing when I arrived. It was uplifting and had a clear rhythm. So we did our class to it and really got into it. The same exercises take on different meaning with the mood of the music. Several ladies got up and danced while the rest of us kept the beat clapping and tapping. The mood was held throughout the class. Then at the end when we always say and mime "From my heart to your heart...Thank You!" Everyone spontaneously chimed in "Amen!"

No comments:

Welcome

Welcome to my blog where I will share my thoughts, ideas and experiences with the Benvolent Ballet Fall Prevention program. For those who are not familiar with the program it is an approach to exercise especially designed for those with physical and or cognitive challenges including the frial elderly. Inspired by classical ballet's music and concepts it becomes not only an exercise class but an altogether enriching experience.

Incorporated into this program is a motivational approach using what may be called 'empathic engagement' . One day training seminars for healthcare staff have been held throughout the US. I have personally facilitated the program in assisted living, skilled nursing facilities and independent living communities