Saturday, March 7, 2009

Teaching the Elderly

Think of your most inspiring teacher. What personality qualities did he or she have? I ask this questions at training seminars for health care professionals who work with the elderly. Of the many traits that are named, understanding the students needs, empowerment and passion stand out. I remember a particular teacher I had once who I felt really understood where I was coming from. I trusted her. Her encouragement was empowering and her passion for the material contagious. What does this have to do with working with the elderly? Everything!
Once the student (the elderly in our case) feels understood he or she will trust, bond with and try to understand the leader. The trust will allow the student to feel at ease in following the leaders directions. The belief the teacher has in the student will be accepted and so the student becomes empowered. The teachers passion and joy of the subject (activity) is mirrored by
the class. This whole process is called empathic engagement. Empathic engagement is the basis of the teaching approach for the Benevolent Ballet program.

No comments:

Welcome

Welcome to my blog where I will share my thoughts, ideas and experiences with the Benvolent Ballet Fall Prevention program. For those who are not familiar with the program it is an approach to exercise especially designed for those with physical and or cognitive challenges including the frial elderly. Inspired by classical ballet's music and concepts it becomes not only an exercise class but an altogether enriching experience.

Incorporated into this program is a motivational approach using what may be called 'empathic engagement' . One day training seminars for healthcare staff have been held throughout the US. I have personally facilitated the program in assisted living, skilled nursing facilities and independent living communities